Consultancy Service for Preparation of Water and Waste Water Master Plan Phuentsholing Thromde, Bhutan
Funding Agency: Government of Bhutan
Phuntsholing Thromde, which is conveniently and strategically located on the Indo-Bhutan border has gained national recognition as the nerve centre of economic activities. With numerous developmental activities planned for Phuntsholing in the 11th FYP, it is now a major challenge for the Thromde to provide basic services namely water and wastewater to the growing urban population. The existing water and wastewater facilities and infrastructure are under tremendous pressure and is not able to meet the growing demand. Therefore, the water and wastewater master plan is seen as a deemed necessary so as to provide sustainable pubic services for at least next 60 years and also serve as a strategic long-term planning tool to help meet future demand for water and wastewater.
The main objective of the assignment is to conduct research and develop a comprehensive water and wastewater master plan for Phuntsholing Thromde (core town and 7 LAPs) and its peripheral settlements. This will primarily help in the following:
- The present and future population of Phuntsholing Thromde and its peripheral settlements will have access to adequate (24x7), safe and affordable water to maintain and enhance the quality of their lives.
- Develop innovative environmental friendly and sustainable wastewater disposal system for the Thromde and the peripheral settlements
Actual Services provided by the Firm
- Socio-economic assessment (population, distribution of human settlement, economic situation, etc.)
- Inventory of existing water and wastewater infrastructure
- Digitization of existing and proposed water and wastewater infrastructure
- Supply and demand analysis
- Watershed mapping
- Demand and quality management
- Climate change and its impact on the water resources
- Technical option and recommendation of the most sustainable option
- Design of the recommended technical option for water supply